Fellowship CAI – Clinical and SOE Examinations
The Fellowship of the College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland (FCAI) examination is an internationally recognised high stakes assessment of anaesthetists in training knowledge. The Fellowship examination is a national test of knowledge as laid out in the FCAI examination syllabus agreed with the Irish Medical Council. The examination is embedded within the curriculum outcomes and specialty anaesthetic trainees will not progress to SAT6 without possession of this qualification.
|25 Feb 2019||11 Mar 2019||2 & 3 Apr 2019||Dublin, Ireland||€700.00|
|21 Oct 2019||8 Nov 2019||26 & 27 Nov 2019||Dublin, Ireland||€700.00|
Apply for Examination
Check if you are eligible to sit exam.
You must be a registered medical practitioner with a primary medical qualification acceptable to the Irish Medical Council, and have been employed as an anaesthetist for 36 months, prior to exam date. Please read the full Examinations Regulations (pdf).
Prepare for Examination
Candidates may only take the Fellowship structured oral examination (SOE) once they have been successful at the Fellowship written examination. The oral examination consists of three parts:
- a) Clinical case SOE (10 minutes to read the case, 30 minutes with Examiners)
- b) SOE 1 – Clinical anaesthesia & pain management (25 minutes)
- c) SOE 2 – Intensive Care Medicine & advanced sciences that underpin anaesthesia (25 minutes)
Please read the full Candidate Examinations Guide for more information.
Preparation Course – Tuesday 12th November 2019
This is a Consultant led intensive SOE preparation course giving candidates extensive viva practice for the examination. The format of the course is similar to the SOE’s including:
- Long clinical cases
- Critical care
- Pain management
- Applied basic sciences
Date: Tuesday 12th November 2019
Venue: College of Anaesthesiologists of Ireland, 22 Merrion Square, Dublin 2
Times: 9.30am to 4.30pm Fee: €290.00
Applications will open soon.
Please note: Only candidates that have applied for the FINAL FELLOWSHIP CAI CLINICAL/SOE exam will be considered for this course.
Here we have compiled a number of resources trainees have found useful for the MCAI. We hope this helps a little with your initial preparation for exams:
- BMJ Education (formerly CEACCP) – http://bjaed.oxfordjournals.org/ **ESSENTIAL**
- Dr Podcast Scripts for the Final FRCA – Leslie, Johnson
- Physics, Pharmacology and Physiology for Anaesthetists: Key Concepts for the FRCA – Cross, Plunkett
- Clinical Anaesthesia Viva Book – Barker **Highly Recommended**
- The Anaesthesia Science VIVA Book – Bricker **Highly Recommended**
- Structured Oral Examination in Clinical Anaesthesia: Practice Examination Papers – Mendonca
http://www.derangedphysiology.com/main/ – useful ICU resource
http://www.ccmtutorials.com/ – useful ICU resource
http://lifeinthefastlane.com/ – useful ICU resource
Examinations Contact: Ann Marie Harte, firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions
1.Your bank card details
2.Your digital passport-sized photo (jpg)
No. There is no lunch provided. There will be tea & coffee available throughout the day. You may bring a lunch with you or buy some lunch during your break.
You will need to bring photo ID (Passport or Driving licence) and your invitation letter.
Yes. These are professional exams. You must wear business attire.